Tuesday, September 21, 2010

So Long, Summer!

I am a warm weather lover. If I were not, then living here would be my idea of hell, because it is HOT here most of the year. We don't even have real winter. Just a weird, cold period of time that occasionally requires an additional layer or a highway closure due to ice.

That being said, it has been so hot this year, that I have been miserable. I think that the biggest difference for me has been having a toddler. I have wanted so badly to get her out and about so I can teach her to fling herself into nature. This simply has not happened. Between the heat, the rain and the resulting mosquitos, we've been stuck inside for the majority of the summer. I have been scrambling for things to do that do not involve sitting zombie-like in front of the television watching The Wiggles or Elmo. Sadly, some days have been comprised mainly of just that.

One of the things that I have missed the most are our daily walks. Before the heat set in, I would wake up, nurse the baby, throw on comfy clothes and sneakers, and head out the door. Not only did our little routine get us out into the fresh air, it also gave our doggie much needed exercise, and kept me from packing on even more post-baby weight. All three of us have missed it.

That's why I was so excited to wake up this morning to a (comparatively) mild day! We nursed, dressed, grabbed the dog and bolted for the door. It was great. My legs are tired, and I smell pretty bad, but those are pretty good things right now.

While we were out, someone mentioned that it was the last day of summer. I stopped, felt the breeze on my face and a few raindrops in my hair and thought 'summer is going out like a sucker. Good.'

:-P

No comments:

Post a Comment