Thursday, January 28, 2010

why I have nothing to post...

Today's Recipes: Diane's Pork Tenderloin, 'Mexican' Rice, Sauteed Cabbage

Due to a recent sleep crisis (unfortunately, it's all of my own making), most of my days have been spent like this:



or this:



so I haven't had a lot of productive time...

We DID make it out for a few errands and some WONDERFUL frozen yogurt



this is serious stuff you guys.

Oh, and I wanted to share a few really basic recipes with you. My Dad's birthday was this week, and my Mama is having a birthday dinner party for a few friends this weekend. In an attempt to take a bit of the weekend burden off of her and also share quality time with her best friend in the whole world, I am having everyone over for dinner tomorrow! I love to do this, but was feeling stuck on menu ideas... so my genius husband reminded me that his sister loves her crockpot as much as I love mine! Done and done - dinner solved:

Diane's Foolproof Pork Tenderloin

crockpot
pork tenderloin
beer

place the pork tenderloin in the crockpot. add the beer. cook all day. eat when you get home.

I'm going to use Shiner Bock and a few garlic cloves! When it's ready, I'm going to serve the meat w/ fresh tortillas, cilantro and lime

Rachel's 'Mexican' Rice

Rice
Chicken Broth
Ro-Tel tomatoes w/ Chilis
Cumin

I use my rice cooker, so the proportions are 1 to 1 1/2 (i.e.: 1 cup rice to 1 1/2 cups broth), but if you are not using a rice cooker, follow the directions on the rice bag, but use broth instead of water. Add in a can of tomatoes w/ chilis (or a can of tomatoes and a can of green chilis), throw in some cumin, and cook away!

Sauteed Red Cabbage

sliced fresh red cabbage
broth
cardamom
ginger

in a large skillet, combine all of the ingredients. the amounts of cardamom and ginger are up to you. start small then go big. I usually steam the cabbage until it is almost done, then sautee until the broth has evaporated - yum!

Well, I told you that these were easy recipes... not even recipes, really - more like guidelines... I am also going to combine a rinsed can of black beans with a can of corn and a can of Hatch green chilis and some butter. Then we are going to gorge ourselves like pig people, drink a lot of wine and laugh until we are tired.

Of course, no matter what recipes I use, I'll have PLENTY of help on the kitchen :-P

1 comment:

  1. Lily looks like she is about to take a bite of Bing in that picture. Bing looks as if to say "are you effing kidding me? Can I bite her back?"

    I was so inspired by your boozy tenderloin slow cooker pot of heaven, that we are making it tomorrow (or Tuesday, because I didn't buy any beer to cook it in and I don't want to go to the store at 8 am tomorrow to buy some before I go to work - I have standards). I bought fresh corriander, forgot the lime (mental note to self) and may just go crazy serve it with the Buckin' Bronco Chipotle Raspberry stuff that is sitting in my fridge begging to be used! Come over!!!

    ReplyDelete