Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Shoes, Beds and General Mayhem

This has (yet again) been quite a week... and it's only Wednesday!

There was a time during last Summer and Fall that I was satisfied with how often we got out of the house, how active we were, and what Lily Ruth and I accomplished each day. I don't know what has changed since then, but these days I feel like we barely leave the house and we're still just wiped out! I'm having trouble staying on top of the mess in the house, and no matter how often I'm up to my elbows in suds, the dishes remain undone. Ugh.

Enough of that. On to the good stuff!


Miss Lily Ruth got her first pair of Big Girl shoes this week! I had resisted putting her in shoes with a rigid sole until now for several reasons, but it had been cold and rainy here for several days, and she couldn't even walk to the car on her own because her shoes were just thin leather soles. The one time I tried, she had cold, wet feet before we even got to the car - so I caved and we went to Rack Room Shoes for this:

Granted, the shoe in the video is too big. According to the on-line toddler shoe sizing charts, she should be a six, but you can see how ridiculous that is. So we got those for later, and these for now:

How cute is THAT?! I even took a Magic Eraser to my Chucks so that they're clean(er) and look more like hers.

Now we just need to get Daddy a pair!


It's been just over a week since we decided to cut out the co-sleeping and the night nursing. We never intended to bed share at all. In fact, that was one of my 'I Will Never' declarations about parenting. But then I gave birth to a little girl with opinions of her own, and through a series of events that I couldn't even keep track of at the time, she ended up in our bed. It took us about 6 months to get her back into her own bed for half of the night. At first, I didn't mind having her with us because I love her tiny self so much, but recently she has become a flat-out obnoxious bed mate. She wakes up angry every half hour to forty-five minutes and either immediately screeches or demands nursing then screeches if told no. There was also kicking, hitting and headbutting. We finally decided that we had had enough interrupted sleep. On the advice of our pediatrician, we just stopped going in to pick her up in the night.

The first few nights were hard (and loud), but also pretty funny. After the screaming and the alternating 'Mama, Mama, Mama, Mama, Mama, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy' came 'agua? agua? agua? yeah.' Which was when I realized that having the heater blasting was a mixed blessing. I took her a sippy cup, kissed her and left the room. That led to 'mama, mama, mama, *gulp, gulp, gulp*, ahhhhhh, Daddy, Daddy, Daddy, *gulp, gulp, gulp*, ahhhhhh'... Ya'll, you could literally hear her power-slam her water like a marathon runner. It was hilarious.

Just like the doctor said it would, it has gotten better every night. She still wakes up around 2 or 3 and is fairly adamant about wanting out, but we've held firm. I will not go in and get her before 5 am. If it's 5 or later, she can come in and nurse until time to get up.

To try and make the transition easier and more fun, I made her a few pillow cases so that her bed feels more like a place that she wants to be. I think it has helped... at the very least, it made me feel better :-)

As you can see, she's got a pretty sweet little set-up with her 'Ish', her stuffed animals, her baby CeeCee, her pillow and her fuzzy blanket. Who wouldn't want to sleep in there?


So, to recap: Mess v. Mama is an ongoing battle which I am determined to win.
Lily Ruth v. Big Girl shoes is a huge triumph for Lily Ruth.
Lily Ruth v. Mama in the matter of Mama's Bed is tipping in my favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment