Monday, March 15, 2010

*sigh* :-)


It's turning, Ducks! I told you it would, did I not? The funk does not last forever... and if it starts to feel like it's going to, well, you should tell somebody.

I think the time change actually worked in my favor. Last night, there was 2 1/2 hours of yelling (booooo), then 3 1/2 hours of sleep, a quick nursing, then sleeeeeeep, and more sleep (yaaaay)! Don actually woke Lily Ruth up when he told her goodbye and put her in bed with me this morning. She and I then alternately nursed and slept until NOON. I allowed it because we both obviously needed it, and I definitely deserved it.

Tonight, there was only 1 1/2 hours of yelling followed by brief nursing and immediate sleep - IN HER OWN BED. Ya'll, my darling daughter fell asleep at 10:30! This is unheard of. I am giddy with relief.

It's hard to fathom the effects of long-term sleep deprivation until you've lived through them. I'm sure that every mother in the world (barring those who have full-time 'help') can close their eyes and call up the memory of that feeling of weariness deep in their bones, but when you are in the midst of it, you feel like the only person in the world who has to go through it. I was told by a friend today that the sound of children's cries coupled with sleep deprivation is an age-old torture technique. Apparently, it's quite effective... duh... But I know that this is not a permanent part of parenthood. This is a stage. It may turn out to be a stage that we re-visit more than once, but there will be times in the next 18 years that I will feel well rested. Just not today. Or tomorrow... maybe Wednesday...

There was more that I wanted to tell you, but writing about sleep deprivation has made me so tired that my eyes are closing without my permission. I do however want to leave you with something nice from last weekend - see, that's the problem with the funk - it can make you forget that good things happen all of the time!


That's Lily Ruth enjoying her first ever ride on a swing! She wasn't at all sure that swinging was for her until her Daddy started tickling her toes each time she swung toward him. Then she couldn't stop grinning.

What a great memory for me to drift off to sleep on! If you would be so kind as to tuck me in, smooth my hair back off my forehead then creep quietly out to your own room, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Girl I so feel your pain! And just when you forget about the sleep depravation you go and do it all over again with another baby! I am on my third go-round and this one broke me...I am done! ;)

    Your daughter is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Sleep deprivation. I think it's a never ending cycle: one side effect of parenthood makes us forget the side effect from the prior stage until you kid is like 5 and you're like "maybe I should have another baby" because you have forgotten about the pregnancy heartburn and the sleepless nights and the toddler tantrums and the potty training. That and the smiles like the one your girl has in the swing picture. Totally forgot everything else. Anyway, I say you on sassy's blog and I am new to this blog thing so I thought'd I check you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, dear Rachel...in a few years this will all be a blur. Hard to fathom, but enjoy the moment because that's what motherhood is...a lifetime of moments.

    You are wonderful.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete